Oxford Harmonic Society was formed in 1921 as the Iffley Glee Club, and by 1924 had gained a distinguished conductor in Reginald Jacques and moved into Oxford city, giving concerts in the Town Hall under its current name. Early concerts involved a variety of musicians, including on occasion some notable visiting orchestras such as the New Queen's Hall Orchestra under Sir Henry Wood, the London Philharmonic Orchestra under Sir Malcolm Sargent and in several concerts the London Symphony Orchestra. By the 1960s the choir had grown to its current size and was making regular use of professional orchestras. Distinguished soloists who have sung with us include Isobel Baillie, Lynne Dawson, Ann Mackay, Linda Hibberd, Peter Pears, Ian Partridge, James Bowman, Philip Langridge and John Mark Ainsley.
Since 1990 the choir has been directed by
Oxford Harmonic Society concert history: Works performed since 2000
Reviews of Oxford Harmonic Society concerts:
Images of concert programmes, posters and other historical documents:
Excerpts from Oxford Harmonic Society performances:
Handel: Messiah, For unto us a child is born (November 2001, Sheldonian Theatre)
Bruch: Das Feuerkreuz (March 2003,